Kangiqsujuaq is known for its beautiful landscape with soil rich in minerals. The area has been mined sporadically since the 1950s. Today, copper and nickel are being mined by the Société minière Raglan du Québec.
A trading post was established at Kangiqsujuaq by Révillon Frères in 1910. By 1928 the Hudson's Bay Company established its own trading post and fox farm in the area. Between 1936 and 1963, a Catholic mission, a school, a nursing station and an Anglican church were founded.
The Wakeham Bay Cooperative Association was incorporated in 1970 and joined the Fédération des coopératives du Nouveau-Québec in 1971. The cooperative operates a store, hotel and cable TV services.
Inuit Adventures: 855-657-3319
© 2014 - Fédération des coopératives du Nouveau-Québec