TRANSPORT PADLAYAT INC. JOB POSTING – MECHANIC'S ASSISTANT
Transport Padlayat Inc. is a subsidiary of La Fédération des coopératives du Nouveau-Québec (FCNQ). FCNQ is owned by its fourteen member co-ops in the Inuit communities of the Hudson and Ungava coasts of Northern-Québec, – or Nunavik, as this region is now called. FCNQ was established in 1967 to provide the rapidly growing co-operative movement with more effective powers and services to help attain their vision of working to develop as a people, leaving none behind.
The main objective of each co-op is to unite the community and to act as a spokesperson for their interests. Therefore the co-op is more than just a store, as is evident from their success in activities as diverse as operating retail stores, post offices, cable TV, management training, auditing services, operating hotels, a travel agency, bulk storage and distribution of oil & fuel supplies, construction projects in Nunavik and marketing Inuit art.
Functions : The employee is responsible for carrying out their duties in a safe manner. • Remove and install the wheels on the trucks and trailers; • Repair flat tires; • Maintain cleanliness of the shop and equipment.
The employee must also assist a qualified mechanic in: • Preventive maintenance; • Brakes and suspension repairs; • Remove and install engines, transmissions, differentials, etc.; • Repairs on electrical and air systems; • Other tasks as requested.
Requirements : • High School Diploma (an asset); • Must have a valid class 5 territorial driver's license; • Must be punctual, reliable and independent; • Able to communicate both verbally and written in 2 of the following languages: Inuktitut, French or English; • Must be able to work in teams.
Work Schedule: The work schedule is on a 2/2 rotation basis; work shifts of 11 hours per day. The employee works for a two consecutive weeks followed by two weeks of leave.
Work Location: Transport Padlayat Inc. at Expo mine site of Canadian Royalties Inc. in the Deception Bay area in Nunavik.
Salary: A competitive salary plus 100.00$ for travel expenses per rotation plus 4% vacation accumulation and paid holidays.
Interested candidates should send their resumes to Sophie.Fraser@fcnq.ca by email or by fax to (514) 457-8017.
DEPARTMENT: Transport Katinniq Inc.
LOCATION: Nunavik (Raglan Mine (Glencore) in Deception Bay, Nunavik)
POSTED: January 23rd, 2019
STATUS: Permanent, full time
WHO WE ARE
Transport Katinniq Inc., a subsidiary of La Fédération des Coopératives du Nouveau Québec, is a contractor for the Glencore mining company whose operation is located in Nunavik. Transport Katinniq Inc. has a fleet of mobile equipment consisting of tractor trailers, tankers, flatbeds, dumpers, and reach stackers. Their mandate is to transport the ore concentrate from the mine to the port (Deception Bay) and to transport petrol and other cargo from the port back to the mine. The distance is 100 kilometers between the mine and the port.
Under the authority of Transport Katinniq Inc. management, the supervisor will be responsible for the proper function of the operations.
•Supervise, coordinate and monitor the smooth operation of transport operations and equipment at the mine site (drivers/operators, mechanics and mechanic assistants);
• Maintain excellent collaboration with the non-rotational supervisor in achieving objectives;
• Plan and supervise repairs, order parts (occasionally);
• Establish schedules and work procedures and coordinate worker activities to ensure optimal logistics by rotation / team according to the collective agreement in force;
• Approval of time sheets, labour and production reports;
• Work collaboratively with the customer in all aspects of operations;
• Cultivate team spirit and promote collaboration by seeking opportunities to improve internal processes;
• Address performance issues through corrective measures and disciplinary process;
• Understand the collective agreement and maintain positive working relationships with all employees;
• With the assistance of the OSH Coordinator, the incumbent will be responsible for implementing health and safety initiatives, practices and behaviors, and ensuring compliance with corporate and Glencore rules and policies;
• Hold security meetings as requested by the customer;
• Provide appropriate orientation to employees and provide them with information, technology and all the necessary material they need to perform their work;
•College diploma in administration, logistics, transportation or a related field. A combination of other training and experience will be considered;
• Minimum of ten (10) years of supervisory experience in the transportation field;
• Very good knowledge of Diesel mechanics (Certificate an asset);
• Class 1 driving license;
• Minimal knowledge of the English language;
• Experience in meeting preparation and management (Health / Safety and Employee Committee);
• Experience in writing and investigating accident and incident work reports;
• Good oral and written communication skills;
• Computer skills needed, able to use the Microsoft Office suite (Excel & Outlook required);
• Good knowledge of health and safety requirements;
• Excellent planning, management and organization skills;
• Excellent leadership and motivational skills;
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills within a diverse team;
• High level of initiative
WORK CONDITIONS AND OTHER
• Rotation 3 consecutive work weeks followed by 2 weeks of rest ("fly in / fly out");
• Work day shifts;
• Unionized environment;
• A range of competitive benefits
Candidates who are interested may submit their resumes to email@example.com or by fax to (514) 457-8017 before January 31st, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Do not hesitate do send your resume to the address below even if no offer corresponds to your profile
© 2018 - Fédération des coopératives du Nouveau-Québec