The Révillon Frères French fur trading company opened a trading post in 1905 and in 1907 the Hudson's Bay Company opened its own trading post on a site near the present-day village of Tasiujaq. By 1935, both trading posts closed down and the area remained uninhabited until 1966. The provincial government relocated willing Inuit families from Kuujjuaq to Tasiujaq, where there were more abundant wildlife resources.
In 1971, the residents of Tasiujaq established a cooperative store. The Tasiujaq Cooperative Association remained independent until 2004, when it was the last Nunavik cooperative to join the Fédération des coopératives du Nouveau-Québec. This cooperative operates a store and petroleum distribution services.
Inuit Adventures: 855-657-3319
Leaf Basin: exceptional world-record-setting tides.
Good hunting and world-class arctic char fishing opportunities.
© 2018 - Fédération des coopératives du Nouveau-Québec